- Cypriot Civil Society VI Grant Scheme has been launched! Deadline for application: 25 September 2017
Cypriot Civil Society VI Grant Scheme has been launched! Deadline for application: 25 September 2017
Cypriot Civil Society VI Grant Scheme has been launched. The deadline for application is 25 September 2017. Strengthening of civil society in the northern part of Cyprus is a key factor in the development of a culture of dialogue, participation in community life and promotion of the values of tolerance, peace and active citizenship. Since 2006, under the Cypriot Civil Society in Action programme, the EU has supported five grant schemes totaling €9.5 million, assisting more than 60 projects and 80 civil society organisations.
Strengthening of civil society in the northern part of Cyprus is a key factor in the development of a culture of dialogue, participation in community life and promotion of the values of tolerance, peace and active citizenship. The EU funded support to confidence building measures and joint-actions organised by civil society organisations from both communities strongly promotes reconciliation, dialogue, closer relationships and trust between the Turkish Cypriot and the Greek Cypriot communities.
The EU has supported five grant schemes totalling €9.5 million to date with more in the pipeline. More than 60 projects and 80 civil society associations have been assisted under the Cypriot Civil Society in Action programme since 2006.
Capacity building support, two projects totalling €2.8 million, is also being provided to strengthen civil society organisations and their role and democratic engagement in the Turkish Cypriot community and within the European Union.
Current EU support to civil society organisations focuses on human rights, environment, culture and sport.
Some examples of projects include:
- “Unspoken”: Combat gender and sexual discrimination through dialogue and awareness raising on LGBTI rights
- “Resist Again violence” :Elimination of domestic violence against women and children
- “Raise your voice, advocate for your rights”: Development of communication and advocacy skills of Turkish Cypriot (TC) civil society and capacity of TC and Greek Cypriot (GC) media professionals
- Protection of natural resources, habitats and ecosystems in the northern part of Cyprus, in particular wetlands and sea shores.
- “Human rights for all”: promotion and protection of human rights of persons in need of international protection’s
- “Youthopia”: empowering young Cypriots to promote and protect their rights
- “Patients’ Voice”: awareness raising and respect of patient’ rights.
- “Leading by Example”: engagement of Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot Business Leaders in Dialogue, Cooperation and Reconciliation
- Protection and promotion of intangible cultural heritage shared by Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot communities.
- Prevention of Child Abandonment and Family Strengthening Project (FSP)
- “Cans of Hope”: social awareness of Cypriot society to waste related environmental issues, recycling and the right to a clean and healthy environment.
- “Promoting Peace and Wellness in Cyprus” by using sport to promote reconciliation and wellness and equipping youth with tools to make healthy and peaceful living choices.
- “Confrontation Through Art: Contemporary Art as an instrument for Reconciliation in Cyprus”.